Friday, March 27, 2020

Much to our own surprise . . .

. . . Mary and I remembered the Urbi et Orbi blessing this morning and attended, if that's the right word for a television broadcast.  I know some of the brethren are none too fond of His Holiness.  I understand and sympathize -- even share those sentiments betimes.  (Oh, all right.  All the time.) But I'm in no position to be turning down any plenary indulgences that might be coming my way.

It was rather moving with the rain, the solitary pontiff, and the empty square.  And he seemed to be having a hard time of it.  Added  a bit of pathos.   I'm told the sermon was good but I had trouble following it.   At least in our home the volume of the Pope's Italian version was about equal to the volume of the English translation.  I heard "Why are you afraid?  Have you no faith?" quite a lot.  But what he made of it, I couldn't tell you.  I understand the text is online somewhere; I may give it a look.

It was good to pray with, I suppose, a good part of the Catholic world for an end to the plague.  The old Roman Ritual has a rite for that. A shame it wasn't used.  But prayer nonetheless.

HEAR my prayer, O Lord, * and let my crying come unto thee.
2  Hide not thy face from me in the time of my trouble; * incline thine ear unto me when I call; O hear me, and that right soon.  -- from Ps 102 
O most mighty and merciful God, in this time of grievous sickness, we flee unto Thee for succour.  Deliver us, we beseech Thee, from our peril; give strength and skill to all those who minister to the sick; prosper the means made use of for their cure; and grant that, perceiving how frail and uncertain our life is, we may apply our hearts unto that heavenly wisdom which leadeth to eternal life; through Jesus Christ or Lord. Amen.