Thursday, November 30, 2017

The St Andrew Novena

The St Andrew Novena, which as we've mentioned before isn't to St Andrew and isn't really a novena, begins today.

The text:

Hail and blessed be the hour and moment in which the Son of God was born of the most pure Virgin Mary, at midnight, in Bethlehem, in piercing cold. In that hour, vouchsafe, O my God! to hear my prayer and grant my desires, through the merits of Our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of His Blessed Mother. Amen.

The tradition is that it be said throughout the day a total of 15 times each day until Christmas day.  Mrs Vidal writes of it here and says

(It) is said to be instrumental in bringing many graces. An old Italian nun once told me it was supposed to be pondered fifteen times a day, rather like the prayer of the rosary, so that the soul comes to taste the meaning of the words, and enter into the ineffable mystery.
There isn't any history or explanation on the web that I've been able to find.  It's a shame.  I'd like to know more.