Sunday, August 18, 2013

The World's

[Yes, you did remember correctly. That video of the St Laurence O'Toole Pipe Band's 2013 performance at the World's was here. I took it down. The thing was coded to start playing when this page opened up. Much as I love SLOT's performance, it was starting to be rather annoying hearing a drum roll every time I navigated to The Inn, particularly when I was listening to something else at the time. I don't know how to amend that code so that it only starts when you manually activate it, so I took it down. If you do want to listen to that clip, you can find it here.]

If I'd remembered to post something here last Friday, you could have gotten out of bed at Oh-Dark-Thirty on Saturday morning and again on Sunday morning, made a pot of tea and some breakfast and spent the wee hours of the morning live-streaming the World Pipe Band Championship live from Glasgow.  (Of course, the further east of California you get, the less wee the hours become, indeed, verging on the civilised.)

But I didn't remember.

So what you can do is, click this link and listen to the various competitors individually at your leisure. And the various competitors in question are some of the best pipe bands on the planet.  The one you're listening to now [or would have been, had I not taken it down] is the St Laurence O'Toole Pipe Band from Dublin, Ireland.  They should've won but the judges decided on 5th for reasons known best to themselves and gave the big prize to the Field Marshall Montgomery Pipe Band from Belfast, Northern Ireland.

(I love writing things like this that give the impression I can tell the difference in quality among the top six or seven Grade One bands in the world.   And, of course, I can. . .as far as you know.)



Labels: