Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Sewer Tour


In this morning's WSJ we learn that you can take a tour of the sewers of Vienna. That is now on my to-do list. Believe it or not, I've always wanted to do that. "Always", being since I first saw The Third Man, and in particular, that bit embedded above. Apparently, it's gamier than it looks. Thanks to old age, my smeller doesn't work as well as it used to, though, so I could probably handle it without too much bother.

And it's not the only sewer tour going. You can do Brighton. And Paris. The Paris tour should really be something. The sewers of Paris figured mightily in all the good old fashioned conspiracy literature. The Jesuits, the Jews, the Freemasons. . .they were all headquartered down there. I don't know where Dan Brown put Opus Dei (I never did get around to reading the The Da Vinci Code. I know. A serious cultural failing; I'm so embarrassed.) But if Opus Dei wants to be taken seriously as one of the classic world domination conspiracies, they need to think about getting a sewers of Paris HQ, if they haven't already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home