Friday, June 11, 2010

Some Piping for the Weekend


This is the Black Raven Pipe Band, a G-III band from Lusk, County Dublin playing their medley at a competition in Howth last year around this time. In my intermittently humble opinion, this is an excellent tune selection, very melodic all the way through. I suppose I shouldn't admit this in public, but I increasingly feel that a great many of the higher grade bands really aren't very interesting to listen to any more. You can't fault the quality of their playing. The technical perfection is there and seems to get better all the time. I can't think as fast as some of those folks can play. But what happened to the music? Some of us ordinary folk have trouble discerning a tune in the blaze of 32nd notes.

But not here. Good music well-played.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home