Friday, November 20, 2009

Found While Looking for Something Else

Small lesson on not re-inventing the wheel: research first, then write.

I've been working on a little project on and off for a few months. I thought it might be useful for someone new to the traditional liturgy to have a little guide to the various hand missals available. It really should not take a few months, or even a few days, not even when allowing for my glacial writing speed. The hitch in the gitalong is that, even though I do have a few missals of my own, I don't have a copy of every missal currently available. The problem was finding borrow-able copies of the ones I don't have.

Well, what should I find this morning but this page. This should be almost everything anyone would need. The only thing missing are my profound editorial comments. (Oh, All right, if you insist: "idiosyncratic editorial comments". Be that way.) Someone somewhere might still want to know that the the English of the Marian Missal is by far the clearest and most readable while still being reverent and ever so slightly archaic: thee and thou are retained as they ought to be. Or that the Lasance Missal has a wonderful little introduction with a short do-it-yourself course for following the Mass in the Missal. But that's for another day.

In the meantime, if you're in the market for Missal click the link to the Southwell Books website for their Missal review summary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home