Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Pope, Bishop Williamson, and the SSPX

There was a particularly evil and bigoted article in this morning's paper by someone named Richard Cohen who apparently is syndicated by the Washington Post. I won't link to it. For anyone interested in nosing around sewers, I'm sure google will be delighted to help.

And I've been thinking about the Holy Father, the SSPX, Bishop Williamson and whole situation ever since. Thinking about it, but without coming up with anything really substantive to say about it. The best commentaries - i.e., fairest and most complete - that I've seen come from Rorate Cæli and The Remnant. There are several posts. I suggest scrolling down through both sites as the easiest way to access the relevant articles and posts.

There is one thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere in the drive-by media's recent orgy of anti-Catholicism. Archbishop Lefebvre's father Rene was a monarchist and a member of the French resistance. He was arrested in April of 1941 by the Gestapo. He was in Nazi jails in France and Belgium and finally died of the brutal treatment he received in the Sonnenberg concentration camp, a sub-camp of Buchenwald, in 1944.

Is it relevant to the issue? Perhaps, perhaps not. Seemed interesting to me. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home