Thursday, November 20, 2008

She's Right. . . .

. . . .I would like an illustration of that.

No idea where to get one, though. If the medieval painters were right, there are a fair number of angel pipers. (Like this one.) Haven't seen any celestial box players, or any saints or angels with tin whistles or bodhrans. The 19th century added some instruments but I have me doubts. Take this one. Sure, that might be a fiddler but I'm thinking it's much more likely we're talking violinist. Even if there is a mandolin in the background.

Which reminds me, I'm still looking for a saintly piper. A saint not an angel. The pianists are loaded with saintly patrons: Bl Dina Belanger and Bl Elizabeth [Catez] of the Trinity, O.C.D. were both concert pianists, as was the Servant of God Fr Augustine Marie of the Blessed Sacrament, O.C.D. That last, Hermann Cohen in lay life, was a student of Liszt at one time. Bl Solanus Casey, O.F.M.Cap. was an enthusiastic, if only mildly talented, Irish fiddler. But no beatified or canonized pipers.

The closest I've come is one Andrew Campbell, who was bishop of Lismore in the penal days around the middle of the 18th century. He visited his flock disguised as a highland piper, so I presume he could give forth with a few tunes. He wasn't martyred but he remained faithful in the face of persecution.

Anyone find a better piper patron?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home