Sunday, January 14, 2007

2d Sunday after Epiphany

At one time the second Sunday after the Epiphany was held in honour of the Infant Jesus of Prague. Now that the "normative" rite doesn't have a "Second Sunday after the Epiphany" I'm not sure where He goes on the calendar. This seems as good a day as any, so let's keep it here.

The original shrine in Prague has a website here, which is, alas for the anglophone, in Czech. There's an English version here but it doesn't seem to be quite as comprehensive as the Czech site. (But then, how would I know? I don't have a word of Czech and that forest of diacritical marks is intimidating enough that I am fairly confident that I never shall.)
There is another somewhat shorter explanation of the devotion here.

The Infant of Prague devotion has its origins in the Discalced Carmelite Order but has now spread so widely that many people are unaware of the connection. The devotion has great significance to monarchists and I have often seen it associated with the pro-life movement among Catholics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home