Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I thought I had dodged this particular bullet. . .


. . .but my pre-Thanksgiving cold-and-sore-throat, which thankfully lasted less than a week, is back just in time for Christmas. I didn't miss Christmas Mass. I'm not incapacitated, neither am I languishing on my bed of pain. In short, there is no legitimate excuse for not having a Christmas post up on The Inn. But there is a reason: I am feeling rather lazy, grumpy, and sorry for myself.

Maybe if I had a sip of St John's wine. Msgr Richard Schuler tells us about St John's wine in the 21 December number of The Wanderer. So in honour of the day that's in it, as today is indeed the feast of the Holy Apostle and Evangelist St John, herewith:

St John the Evangelist was honored on December 27. His feast was a general holiday, being kept as the third day of Christmas. Special wine, called St John's Love, was blessed on St John's Day, the formula for the blessing being found in the Rituale Romanum. It was thought that St John had survived the drinking of poisoned wine. Those going on a long journey fortified themselves from harm by drinking St John's wine, and at weddings it was regularly drunk. Often those about to depart this life were given a sip to strengthen them for their departure from this world. In St John's Gospel, Christ is called the Light of the World, and so when lighting the Christmas tree, a child with the name of John is often given the privilege of lighting the tree.


Catholic Culture gives a little family ritual to go with the St John's Day feast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home