Sunday, May 21, 2006

Rogation Days

Rogation Sunday, blessing the fields; (minor rogation, 6th Sunday of
Easter)
Also known as Vocem Juncunditatis, Plough Sunday, Chestnut Sunday;
Rogationtide (the three days immediately following Rogation Sunday,
prior to Ascention Thursday), Gang Week, Cross Week, Grass Week;
Rogation Sunday was the start of a three-week period (ending on
Trinity Sunday), when Roman Catholic and Anglican clergy did not
solemnize marriages
Liturgical Color: Purple


If this looks familiar to you, you probably subscribe to one or more of the same email lists that I do. The paragraph is lifted from one of Ted Hewitt's very informative posts about the liturgical calendar. If I knew how to post a link to an email I would do so for you. Instead, try this link to the Rogationtide Calendar Customs page of the "England-in-Particular" website where I learned about Beating the Parish Bounds. It sounds much like the "Ridings" in the Scottish borders country.

Ted also pointed me to the old Catholic Encyclopædia article on the Rogation days. So I will do the same for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home