Monday, January 31, 2005

Just One More Paragraph from "The Serpent on the Rock":

I once heard an ex-nun say on the radio that when she wore the habit people would edge away from her. As I had always felt comfortable and unthreatened in the presence of nuns dressed in the old style I wrote an article suggesting that if people were keeping downwind of her it might well be due to some other cause. This thoughtless remark prompted the poor woman to write to me, not in a spirit of complaint but desirous of explaining her position, and I have seldom been so mortified in all my life. I did not agree with her views, and the way of life she described held no appeal for me at all, but one must not be spiteful.

Fighting for the Faith while trying to maintain your status as a Christian gentlewoman can present almost insuperable difficulties. However, so devious is human nature that you can gain great satisfaction simply by stating in the presence of feminists that you aspire to be a Christian gentlewoman, a handmaid to the Lord and to mankind. These words cannot be construed as manifestly offensive yet can be relied on to madden people. You can also claim that you get up early in order to make breakfast for your husband and family before they go out to work, and that you like to rest in the afternoons so that you feel fresh and able to entertain them in the evening. Still, this may be going too far, and may well not be true.

Well, that was two wasn't it. But,sure, it did you no harm now, did it. Wonderful stuff.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home