Tuesday, November 02, 2004

The Real Irish Breakfast



I tried to recreate it this morning not very successfully. Which may be just as well. Even Dr. Atkins would have second thoughts: Eggs, sausages, bacon (a.k.a. "rashers"), black pudding (a blood sausage), white pudding (ditto), and a fried tomato. And bread or a brack and tea. Lovely. I could eat that every morning for the rest of my life. Of course, it would be a much shorter life than otherwise. But it could be worth it.

But, so far, it isn't working. In the first place, the bacon is wrong. We have belly bacon in this country, whereas the Irish use the much less fatty back bacon. You can buy "Irish" bacon at some of the import shops (at hugely inflated prices) but it usually turns out to be Danish. No one seems to bother with the puddings. And it seems I shall have to make my own brack. (Or maybe a nice fruity soda bread. Yes, I think so.) And the sausages just aren't the same.

Back to porridge for the time being, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home