Tuesday, October 07, 2003

I probably should explain the Cubs reference below.


I haven't given up on the Angels. Or even - God help us - the Dodgers. (Except for this year. Well, I mean. There wouldn't be much point, would there?)

And I would really like to see the Red Sox go all the way with the American League title. Mark Sullivan's loyalty is infectious. I've caught some and it's not altogether curable.

But. . . .

But there is a long-standing family loyalty to the Cubs. My mother's family came from Chicago and were great fans. My first in-person major league game at age 5 was at Wrigley Field (courtesy of my grandmother). My grandfather (40 years before I was born! I swear!) was close friends with many of the players, especially Joe Tinker (of Tinker to Evers to Chance). My mother was a teenager before she realized Uncle Joe wasn't actually her uncle and was, in fact, not a relation at all.

So this year, it's going to be the Cubs. And, of course, you can get your "Dodger" fix watching the Cubs this year anyway. Grudzielanek, Karos, Dusty Baker. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home