Tuesday, September 30, 2003

And another thing. . . .


So long as I'm in a ranting mood, this topic ticks me off every autumn.

Every year about this time I receive at least one piece of mail a day from some religious outfit that would like to "remember" my loved ones for me in November. But not a one of them ever uses the word "purgatory" or "suffering souls" or "poor souls" or implies that anyone any where who has ever died is anything other than perfectly happy and content the nanosecond after he breathed his last.

They haven't got much use for the doctrine but they'd still like the stipend that goes with an offering for a requiem Mass.

Look fellas, it's like this: you can't "remember" my parents. You didn't know them. If you're offering to pray for the repose of their souls - to liberate them from purgatory - why not say so? If it's because you don't believe in it any longer, I suggest finding a new line of work. At the very least, find another way to shill for money. The hypocrisy is nauseating.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home