Thursday, August 21, 2003

Blessed William Lacey

There are several martyrs of England and Wales who "went unto the House of the Lord forever" on August 22. I thought I would spread them out a bit and begin the list today.

The first is Blessed William Lacey. "Driven from York, where he held a judicial post, hunted from place to place, penniless through fines for recusancy, he was ordained a priest at Rome in 1581, after the death of his wife."

Bowden provides the following excerpt from one of his letters, this one written at Loreto where he stopped on the way from Rome to England and his eventual martyrdom:

"I wish to take my leave of you once more with this letter, as I do not know whether it may be the last. We arrived on Tuesday at this holy house, where my companions and I served the Lord in His own home, and at the shrine of His most holy Mother. At this we all experienced an extraordinary consolation, though indeed we felt much spiritual joy throughout the journey. I am particularly charmed with the devotion and zeal of my companions, and with the holy communings in which we pass our days. Indeed, it seems to me that I take my part with them in that sweet harmony. I frequently exclaim in my heart, 'Is Saul also amongst the prophets?' and I remind myself of the disciples' words, 'Was not our heart burning, when He spoke with us upon the way?'"

More on Blessed William can be found here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home