Thursday, March 27, 2003

St. Matthew of Beauvais
Martyr (+c. 1100)


I found this at the end of today’s entry in The Magnificat, which if you attend the Pauline rite even occasionally, you should immediately run out and subscribe to. Our separated brethren of the Mohammedan persuasion seem to have had a problem with P.O.W.’s and the proper treatment thereof for quite some time.

Matthew, of Agnetz, France, was a knight who exemplified the ideal of chivalry in his great purity of heart, his integrity, his meekness, and his devout life of frequent prayer and generous almsgiving. A contemporary described his piety as befitting that of a bishop.

Taking the insignia of the cross on his shoulder, Matthew accompanied his bishop, Roger of Beauvais, on the First Crusade to free the Holy Land from Saracen occupation. While passing through Constantinople, he won the admiration of the Byzantine court of the Emperor Alexis.

Matthew was later captured by the Saracens, who offered to spare his life if he would deny the cross of Christ. Matthew replied that he would give his answer on the following Friday. When Friday came, the knight told them, “I asked you to grant me this delay, not because I had any doubt as to what my decision would be, but that I might have the honor and felicity of shedding my blood on the same day as my Savior Jesus Christ bled for me. . . .I give my life to him who laid down his for mankind.” Matthew was thereupon beheaded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home