Wednesday, February 12, 2003

Tradition Still Reigns in Los Angeles

As long as I was downtown last Saturday, I thought I would take the opportunity to park in the new Cathedral parking structure and visit the Cathedral after the parade.

As you now know, I was not feeling up to visiting the Cathedral after that parade. So I still can’t give a first-hand report on it.

But I did have a fine look at the parking structure. You will be happy to note that it is in the finest tradition of parking structures everywhere. There was no deviation from any time-honoured practices. One drives up to the little kiosk with the button to press which releases the parking ticket. The little barrier opens, as they do everywhere, and you cross the clanking thing in the floor next to the “Warning! Do Not Back UP: Tire Damage” sign. Standard parking place white-lines are in place. The décor is basic poured concrete, austerely decorated with “EXIT -->” signs and large, white numbers telling you what floor you are on.
The architecture is large, square, boxy, and severe. Not unlike many new cathedrals I have read about.

Say. . . .you don’t suppose I was actually in. . . .nah. Couldn’t be. There was no three thousand pound brass door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home