Wednesday, February 19, 2003

Future Saints?

And Then?, Quenta Narwenion , Flos Carmeli and some others have listed folks on their wish list of future saints. I can agree with almost all of them. ("Almost" because I don't know all of them.) Now that I start to prepare my own list I’m stopped in my tracks because no one will know any of them. Well, almost none. Some will remember the late Cardinal McIntyre, the former Archbishop of Los Angeles. He retired to St. Basil’s rectory on Wilshire, where he lived as one of the assistant priests, taking his turn on daily Mass, hearing confessions, and ordinary parish duties as much as his health would permit. He was my regular confessor for a while. Feel free to canonize him at any time; no need to go through the beatification bother in my opinion.

And the rest, you really won’t have heard of at all. There is no chance any of them will be canonized but I pray to, as well as for, them. You won’t know of Fr. John McKenna – outside of a mention in the post below – or of Fr. Vincent Molloy, the pastor of my youth. I am as sure as anyone can be about these things that my mother died a saint. I don’t think we canonize Baptists, do we? So Edith Mitchell’s chances of an official feast day are even less. But if I can have a tenth of her goodness and love for Christ, I will have a very good eternity indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home