Sunday, February 02, 2003

The Cloud of Witnesses

Last Friday was the 31st of January and the feast of St. John Bosco. As a quondam Salesian boy I am in conscience obligated to point you to something about Don Bosco. Try here. Yes, I know it says "Giovanni Melchior Bosco" but that's him. Or he, if Nihil Obstat is in attendance. If you're not too busy you could stop by my old alma mater here. I actually recognize a lot of the places pictured; the quadrangle remains the same, including the palms and the bougainvillea. But why is there a wrought iron fence around Don Bosco's statue in the front? Did someone try to steal him? Would a wrought iron fence really help? The chapel is changed somewhat. Not drastically but not for the better either. And why did someone leave their groceries on the steps of the altar? If it turns out to be in honor of the Great Pumpkin, I'd just as soon not know.

February 1st is the feast of St. Bridget the Great of Ireland. There is a short life here. There is some very interesting stuff here. But I note that the author is Grattan Flood. I don't know what his hagiography is like, but his writing on music is notoriously untrustworthy. Enjoy but don't take it to the bank.
And it is also the birthday of my grandmother, who was not named Bridget. (And it is not the birthday of my wife, who is named Bridget.)


And today, Sunday, is Candlemas Day, the last day of the Christmas season. The Christmas preface is used at today's traditional Gregorian Mass. I think it is officially the feast of the Presentation of Our Lord in the Pauline rite and the feast of the Purification of Our Lady in the traditional rite. But it has been Candelmas Day among English-speaking people for a thousand years - give or take - and that is quite good enough for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home