Monday, January 27, 2003

A very good weekend, on the whole.

It even ended on a good note, with the championship cup once again eluding the grasp of the objectionable Mr. Al Davis. Not that I give a tinker’s dam about professional football. But even the uninterested have a certain amount of football knowledge, Mr. Davis’ arrogance included, forced upon them by the mass media. His comeuppance was a pleasant end to a pleasant weekend.

Saturday began with a noon wedding in Burbank. A very warm day for January all over southern California, it was even more so over the hill into Burbank and the valley. I would guess the low 90’s. Too warm for all that Scottish wool. But I found a shady spot – this was a garden wedding – and played for about a half hour beforehand and then again afterward as the guests left. They had no particular tunes in mind except Highland Cathedral so I got to try out a few things that I’ve been working on. I think it sounded pretty good, if I do say so myself. I played a few sets at the reception, had a nice hotel luncheon kindly provided by the newly weds, and headed off for a band rehearsal.

I missed most of the rehearsal which started before the wedding ended. Got there in time for the drum major’s marching and deportment demonstration and sermon (a.k.a., “Kenny’s remedial walking lessons”). Some bands pay far too much attention to that sort of thing at the expense of the music. But if you don’t pay enough attention you can look a right eedjit on parade.

From there the lot of us caravanned to downtown L.A. and the new Omni Hotel to play for the United Scottish Society’s Burns Supper. (This is the third Burns Supper I’ve played for this year. A new record.) We played a few sets, mostly the traditional standards. And I had my second sumptuous hotel repast of the day, also provided free, gratis, and for nothing: a lovely cut of prime rib, assorted side dishes, a taste of haggis, and something over half a bottle of decent wine. We then did a few more sets, interspersed with highland dancing for which the P/M and the P/S played while we looked on approvingly. Another hour or so of talk and so home and to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home