Sunday, January 19, 2003

An Excellent Weekend

. . . .if you don’t count the Accord blowing a coolant hose on Friday. A $3 hose that is next to impossible to get at so will cost a couple of C notes to fix. %$#&% cars, anyway.

Otherwise, I played for the local SCD Burns Supper which was held this year at Cal Tech. (“SCD” in this case means the combined Orange County and San Gabriel Valley branches of the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society.) I played beforehand for about an hour and then for the Grand March and the entrance of the haggis. And then some great dancing: “Rob Roy”, “Polharrow Burn”, “Sugar Candie”, and much more. “Muirland Willie” was on the programme, too, which I didn’t dare attempt. I love it, but it’s so intricate and since I haven't done it in a couple of years. . . .the "try not to make a fool of yourself" principal was invoked. Muriel Johnson and Laura Risk provided the outstanding dance music. Muriel Johnson doesn't require compliments; everyone in SCD is delighted to see her name on a programme. But I hadn't heard Laura Risk's fiddling before. She's an excellent dance musician: perfect tempi and "lift" for each dance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home