Monday, December 30, 2002

Nova Vulgata

Via a reference in Summa Minutiae, I see that the entire Nova Vulgata is on line at the Vatican website. This is a wonderful reference source.

I only wish it had notes to explain some of its changes. Why, for instance, use the Massoretic text numbering of the Psalms instead of the Septuagint? Not an insurmountable obstacle. I've coped with it in the RSV and I can do so in the Nova Vulgata, also. But what's the rationale?

And why some of the new translations? What did they learn that wasn't known before? In the De Profundis - Ps. 130 here, rather than Ps 129 - it reads "4 Quia apud te propitiatio est, ut timeamus te." Which changes the tense of the prior version of the Nova Vulgata ". . .ut timebimus te." Which isn't anything like the "Et propter legem tuam sustinui te, Domine" of St. Jerome. Which doesn't bear much resemblance to the Pius XII psalter's "4. Sed penes te est peccatorum venia, Ut cum reverentia serviatur tibi."

Why the hopping from one version to the next? The Praefatio gives a nice over view, but specific notes would be nice.

[Addendum. I am wondering if I should leave this on the blog. It gives a very inflated impression of my skill at Latin. I am very much a plodder and I don't get very far without a dictionary. This is the Truth-in-Advertising Disclaimer.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home