Saturday, November 23, 2002

My Alma Mater is for the Chop

According to the L.A. Times Cardinal Mahony is a year away from closing down St. John’s Seminary College.
I’m saddened and disappointed but I can’t say that I’m surprised. In my first year there were 108 students in my class on our first day. According to this article there are now 90 for all four years. And the 90 are not just for Los Angeles. St. John’s serves several dioceses and religious congregations.

It would have been a wonderful thing to see the church revitalized and vocations filling St. John’s. Apparently that is not to be. At least, not yet. It doesn’t appear that there are any plans to sell of any of the property. And I don’t see how that could easily be done without negatively affecting the St. John’s Theologate. Maybe St. John’s will blossom again one day.

(I wonder: are the baccalaureate degrees still in Latin?)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home