Monday, March 16, 2009

The Inn is still in business

But we have been very busy for a change: several good gigs all in a row and a few odd jobs that took up a good deal of time. And the other day after picking up one of the very first jigs I ever learned, I found I made a complete dog's breakfast of the thing right the way through. So there is a new practice regime in place: additional - and regular - hours are part of the new rule. The music has been improving nicely, but it has been eating into the blogging time.

And speaking of practice, I acquired one of these a couple of weeks ago. It has been great fun and a touch more of a learning curve than I was expecting. The holes are a smidgen further apart than I'm used to. Some of those notes aren't quite where I'm expecting them to be.

We also found that the local library has a very good selection of Alexander Woollcott's stuff. You can't read about Dorothy Parker, Robert Benchley, and George S. Kaufman without running into Alexander Woollcott. But I had never actually read any of Woollcott. That is now remedied. If you enjoy reading about the theatre in the first half of the 20th century you will find Woollcott hugely entertaining. But he's not Dorothy Parker. There's a reason she's still in print and he's not.

And I've been looking for an alternative place to park the accumulated wealth of a lifetime* as the prior arrangements have, shall we say, not been working out as anticipated. I don't enjoy that sort of thing as much as some. It is, in fact, a crashing bore. I have found, though, that fear makes an acceptable substitute for abiding interest and gives one the impetus to carry on with the research. Livin' in a van down by the river works well in the song. But as a plan for the future, not so much.

_____________________________________
*"Accumulated wealth of a lifetime" -- A suggestion for those who, judging by my mail, are occasionally confused by my turn of phrase: you might want to look up "hyperbole". And, yes, I do plan one day to decide whether to stick to the first person plural or the first person singular in any given piece. We shall make it a point to do that one day soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home