Wednesday, June 15, 2022

After an Overdose of Vatican News

Eons ago back in the Jurassic age when I was young, one read the morning papers with breakfast.  In our house that was the L.A. Times until old man Chandler died and his very up-to-date progeny took over.  Then it was the O.C. Register until old man Hoiles died and his progeny sold it to . . . well, I've forgotten and it doesn't matter anyway.  No doubt Wikipedia knows if you're interested.  In any event, both papers are still around - just - and neither one is worth the powder to blow it to hell.

So instead, one fires up the tablet to read one's favourite bloggers, columnists, assorted news sources, and to see how badly the Anaheim Angels did the night before.  And so it happens that one can find out a great deal about PF and assorted goings on in the Vatican if one is not careful.  And I was not careful this morning.   I read Fr Z's piece here.   Which is not a criticism of Fr Z.   He didn't do it; he just reported it.  And gave some excellent commentary.  But it did rather suck the joy out of an otherwise beautiful morning.

Fortunately, Morning Prayer came after breakfast and the psalter, as it so often does, felt my pain, to uses a phrase which I wouldn't otherwise dream of using:


7  Will the Lord absent himself for ever? * and will he be no more intreated?
8  Is his mercy clean gone for ever? * and is his promise come utterly to an end for evermore?
9  Hath God forgotten to be gracious? * and will he shut up his loving-kindness in displeasure?
10  And I said, It is mine own infirmity; * but I will remember the years of the right hand of the Most Highest.
11  I will remember the works of the Lord, * and call to mind thy wonders of old time.
12  I will think also of all thy works, * and my talking shall be of thy doings.

Psalm 77 if you've a mind to look up the rest of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home